Immunizations LVN/LPN – Elizabeth, NJ
Loyal Source Government Services is looking for experienced Immunization LVN/LPN’s in the Elizabeth, NJ area.
This position is contingent upon award of bid, anticipated in Fall 2021.
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services. IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee health care.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Nurses are the largest group of health care providers within IHSC staffed facilities, providing care 24 hours per day. As part of a comprehensive primary care team (nurses, medical providers, dental providers, behavioral health providers, administrative staff), Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurses in IHSC practice in a collaborative environment providing ambulatory, emergency, mental health, and infirmary care. Common activities Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurses carry out include intake screening identify conditions requiring referral or treatment, administering medications, supporting other providers in clinic, and providing a wide range of treatments such as wound care, electrocardiograms, ear lavage, phlebotomy, nebulizer therapy, and tuberculosis skin tests.
The Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse – Immunizations assists in the management of the immunization program, including ordering and storage of vaccines, assessing vaccine records and schedules to determine needed immunizations, providing immunizations to patients, and providing education regarding immunizations to patients. The Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse – Immunizations is oriented and credentialled to provide all aspects of nursing care and may be assigned to other nursing posts as needed to support the mission.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate from a Vocational/Practical Nurse program approved by a State, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory.
- Must have a minimum of one-year experience in a hospital, medical office, or outpatient clinical setting.
- Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting preferred.
- Maintains current, full and unrestricted LVN/LPN license by the state in which the duty station is located, or a compact state that allows practice in the state in which the duty station is located. Any changes to license must be reported to employer immediately.
- This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
- Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers® certification through the American Heart Association.
- Certified Correctional Health Professional or Certified Corrections Nurse credential preferred.
- Per the Presidential Executive Order 14042, all associates supporting the federal government are required to be fully vaccinated. All applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination upon hire.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Cultural competency.
- Integrity and honesty.
- Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish (preferred, not required).
- Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, not required).
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability and proficiency to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
- Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
- Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including electronic health records, web-based training and communications.
- Knowledge of, and moderate proficiency in, common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assess and evaluates the immunization status and needs of patients, applying knowledge of current vaccine schedules and recommendations, immunization guidelines, patient health history, and available health records.
- Provides education to patients (and parents of minors) on immunizations, including benefits, risks, side effects, after care and schedule for future vaccines.
- Provides and documents immunizations to patients as indicated based on health history, health records, and interpretation of immunization schedules and recommendations.
- Provides direct care to patients within discipline Scope of Practice and performs functions in accordance with current accepted practice, licensure, certification, credentialing and/or competencies.
- Administers medications as ordered. Medications may be given via the oral, subcutaneous, intramuscular, intravenous, topical, ophthalmic, and other enteral and parenteral routes.
- Performs prescreening and intake screening of patients newly arrived at the facility. Uses established intake tools for gathering subjective and objective data, referring abnormal findings or responses to a registered nurse, medical provider, dental provider, or behavioral health provers as appropriate.
- Performs various treatments such as wound care, vital sign checks, electrocardiograms, etc. as ordered by a medical provider, dental provider, behavioral health provider, or registered nurse.
- Collects laboratory specimens and performs point-of-care testing or prepares specimens for laboratory processing. Takes appropriate action on lab results received.
- Responds to medical emergencies and renders emergency care to stabilize patient and prevent deterioration, and transfers patient to appropriate level of care.
- Assists other health care professionals through the gathering of subjective and objective data, provision of aspects of care, educating patients, etc.
- May be required to participate in involuntary, court-ordered care.
DUTY HOURS / ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS
IHSC operates 24/7/365; this position is required to respond during an emergency activation. This position requires availability to work day, evening and night shifts; availability during weekends and holidays is also required. On-call availability is not required for this position.
The Department of Homeland Security’s Personnel Security Unit (PSU) must render an Initial Preliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a qualified candidate. A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by PSU upon completion of initial, and between, subsequent background investigations to meet the requirements of this position.
Unaided over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities; or recurring lifting of moderately heavy patients or equipment. The work may require specific, but common, physical characteristics and abilities, such as agility and dexterity, visual, and hearing capabilities. Must be able to respond to any medical emergency in the facility, via foot, within four minutes and perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.
Must have the ability to assist sick, injured, or aging detainees or staff exiting the building during an emergency.
Loyal Source is an Orlando-based workforce solutions provider dedicated to delivering elite services worldwide. With a focus in government healthcare, technical and support services, engineering, and travel healthcare, Loyal Source provides exceptional custom solutions to both private enterprise and government agencies. Loyal Source is a military friendly employers and proud partner of the Military Spouse Employment Partnership program.
For more information go to our website www.loyalsource.com and follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook & Twitter for other positions currently open.
Loyal Source does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor
This contractor and subcontractor abides by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.