Behavioral Health Technician – Batavia, NY
Loyal Source Government Services is looking for Behavioral Health Technicians in the Batavia, NY area.
This position is contingent upon award of bid, anticipated in Fall 2021.
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services. IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee health care.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The Behavioral Health Technician (BHT) provides comprehensive mental health screenings, patient care management and facilitates basic psycho-educational groups. BHT augments on-site behavioral services to include patient education, segregation wellness checks, sleep checks, behavioral observations, and compliance coaching for medical and mental health patients. The BHT consults with Behavioral Health Provider (BHP) to monitor patient compliance, promote safety and patient engagement within an integrated and therapeutic care milieu. BHT schedules appointments, complete medical records documentation in electronic Health Records (eHR) and coordinates follow up care for mental health patients under the direction of the BHP.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Degree issuing institution and or program must be accredited by an entity recognized by the U.S. Department of Education
- Associate degree in a behavioral science/specialty field.
- Two years of work experience in a mental health clinic or residential healthcare setting.
REQURED LICENSURE / CERTIFICATION
- American Association of Psychiatric Technicians (AAPT) certification at level three within 12 months of hire.
- Maintains current certification in either the American Heart Association Basic Life Support Course (BLS) or the American Red Cross CPR/BLS Course.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES
- Strong oral/written communication skills
- Active listening skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong problem solving, judgment and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated cultural awareness
- Spanish-speaking candidates are preferred, but not required
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Basic knowledge regarding therapeutic communication and psychiatric recovery and rehabilitation skills.
- Ability to conduct clinical mental health screenings.
- Ability to facilitate skill building exercises, patient safety and wellness processing groups.
- Ability to coordinate instructional recreational activities.
- Ability to communicate with cultural awareness and respond to the unique needs of members of diverse populations.
- Ability to navigate electronic health records, web-based training and communications.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships and take direction in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient health records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
- Moderate proficiency in common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under the clinical direction of a licensed Behavioral Health Provider assists in: providing direct services to assigned population; health data collection; observations of behaviors and wellness checks; perform sleep hygiene encounters and checks as directed; prompting as needed with activities of daily living; health and general program education and patient support; patient safety and risk monitoring; escorts BH detainees to appointments as required; observation of patient’s behaviors during all programming and recreation activities;
- Maintains a basic knowledge of behavioral health interventions including psychotropic medications and awareness of side effects and potential impact on patient functioning.
- Facilitate basic therapeutic and psycho-education groups (i.e. Processing Groups/Alternative Programming) and provides direct individual patient education, care and treatment.
- Assists in the development of specific behavioral treatment interventions such as coping skills, anger management, and other self-regulating behavior activities.
- Gathers patient care information through frequent contacts to assist behavioral health and medical providers with diagnosis, treatment planning, and medication management.
- Documents clinical observations of a patient’s behavior including mood, affect, mental sharpness, sleeping patterns, eating habits and overall functioning and any changes observed.
- Performs medical housing unit and special needs monitoring and wellness checks.
- Conduct crisis management in emergent situations through sound judgement and team collaboration according to standardized facility procedures and IHSC policy.
- Conduct program schedule management to include: group schedules, telehealth appointments, and individual check-ins).
- Chaperone and obtain/record vital signs for Tele-Behavioral Health (to include telepsychiatry) or any other clinical appointment (if available).
- Continues professional development through in-service education, workshops, conferences and self-study necessary to maintain current knowledge applicable to the position.
- Adhere to IHSC, PBNDS, ACA, NCCHC standards.
- Maintain proficiency and accurately utilizes the IHSC electronic medical record.
DUTY HOURS/ ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS
IHSC operates 24/7/365; this position is required to respond during an emergency activation. This full-time position requires availability to work days, evenings, as well as weekends and holidays. Specific hours will be determined by the facility mission needs. On-call availability is not required for this position.
SECURITY AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
The Department of Homeland Security’s Personnel Security Unit (PSU) must render an Initial Preliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a qualified candidate. A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by PSU upon completion of initial, and between, subsequent background investigations to meet the requirements of this position. Must be able to obtain and maintain assigned security clearance.
The work requires some physical exertion, such as long periods of standing; walking or jogging unaided over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities; or recurring lifting of moderately heavy patients or equipment. The work may require specific, but common, physical characteristics and abilities, such as agility and dexterity, visual, and hearing capabilities. Must be able to respond to any medical emergency in the facility, via foot, within four minutes and perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.
Must have the ability to assist sick, injured, or aging detainees or staff exiting the building during an emergency.
Loyal Source is an Orlando-based workforce solutions provider dedicated to delivering elite services worldwide. With a focus in government healthcare, technical and support services, engineering, and travel healthcare, Loyal Source provides exceptional custom solutions to both private enterprise and government agencies. Loyal Source is a military friendly employers and proud partner of the Military Spouse Employment Partnership program.
For more information go to our website www.loyalsource.com and follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook & Twitter for other positions currently open.
Loyal Source does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor
Per the Presidential Executive Order 14042, all associates supporting the federal government are required to be fully vaccinated. All applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination upon hire.
This contractor and subcontractor abides by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.