Psychiatric Registered Nurse – Batavia, NY
Loyal Source Government Services is looking for experienced Psychiatric Registered Nurse in the Batavia, NY area.
This position is contingent upon award of bid, anticipated in Fall 2021.
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services. IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee health care.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Nurses are the largest group of health care providers within IHSC staffed facilities, providing care 24 hours per day. As part of a comprehensive primary care team (nurses, medical providers, dental providers, behavioral health providers, administrative staff), Registered Nurses in IHSC practice in a collaborative environment providing ambulatory, emergency, mental health, and infirmary care. Common activities Registered Nurses carry out include intake screening and physical exams to identify conditions requiring referral or treatment, care for common acute problems via nursing guidelines, nursing rounds for patients in infirmary care and segregated housing, and coordinating the activities of their assigned shift.
The Registered Nurse – Psychiatric provides specialized care to patients with mental health conditions, including assessment and referral, individual and group treatment, crisis intervention, and specialized education as part of a treatment team. The Psychiatric Registered Nurse – Psychiatric is oriented and credentialed to provide all aspects of nursing care and may be assigned to other nursing posts as needed to support the mission.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate from an associate’s, baccalaureate, or graduate nursing program for Registered Nurses located in a State, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory accredited by The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of a current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Have practiced the equivalent of two years full-time as a registered nurse.
- Minimum 2,000 hours (equivalent to one-year of full-time) work experience in psychiatric-mental health nursing as a licensed registered nurse, in a hospital, medical office or residential setting within the last three years.
- Completed 30 hours of continuing education in psychiatric-mental health nursing within the last three years.
- Experience in a detention/correctional healthcare setting (preferred, not required).
REQURED LICENSURE / CERTIFICATION
- Current, full and unrestricted license as Registered Nurse in the state in which the duty station is located, or a compact state that allows practice in the state in which the duty station is located. Any changes to license must be reported to employer immediately.
- Board Certification in Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing by the American Nurses
- Credentialing Center (ANCC) or eligible and must obtain within one year of start date with IHSC.
- Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers® certification through the American Heart Association®.
- This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
- Certified Correctional Health Professional, Certified Correctional Health Professional – Registered Nurse, Certified Corrections Nurse, or Correctional Behavioral Health Certification preferred.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Cultural competency.
- Integrity and honesty.
- Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish (preferred, not required).
- Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, not required).
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
- Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
- Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to navigate an electronic work environment including electronic health records, web-based training and communications.
- Knowledge of, and moderate proficiency in, common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides specialized nursing care to patients experiencing acute or chronic psychiatric conditions, applying knowledge of these conditions as defined in the DSM-V to plan nursing care. This may include care provided to individuals or small groups, or via presentations to larger groups of patients.
- Provides training to health care professionals and others on mental health nursing topics.
- Provides direct care to patients within discipline Scope of Practice and performs functions in accordance with current accepted practice, licensure, certification, credentialing and/or competencies.
- Performs physical examinations using established tools for gathering subjective and objective data, referring patients to a medical provider, dental provider, and/or behavioral health provers as appropriate.
- Performs sick call, assessing and treating acute problems using nursing protocols and referring patients to an advanced practice provider, physician, behavioral health provider, and/or dentist as appropriate.
- Provides clinical supervision to Licensed Vocational/Practical Nurses and unlicensed assistive personnel, as assigned.
- Administers medications as ordered. Medications may be given via the oral, subcutaneous, intramuscular, intravenous, topical, ophthalmic, and other enteral and parenteral routes.
- Performs prescreening and intake screening of patients newly arrived at the facility. Uses established intake tools for gathering subjective and objective data, referring abnormal findings or responses to a medical provider, dental provider, and/or behavioral health provers as appropriate.
- Performs various treatments such as wound care, vital sign checks, electrocardiograms, etc. as ordered by a medical provider, dental provider, behavioral health provider, or registered nurse.
- Collects laboratory specimens and performs point-of-care testing or prepares specimens for laboratory processing. Takes appropriate action on lab results received.
- Responds to medical emergencies and renders emergency care to stabilize patient and prevent deterioration, and transfers patient to appropriate level of care.
- May be required to participate in involuntary, court-ordered care.
DUTY HOURS/ ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS
- IHSC operates 24/7/365; this position is required to respond during an emergency activation.
- This position requires availability to work day, evening and night shifts; availability during weekends and holidays is also required.
- On-call availability is not required for this position.
- The Department of Homeland Security’s Personnel Security Unit (PSU) must render an Initial Preliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a qualified candidate.
- A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by PSU upon completion of initial, and between, subsequent background investigations to meet the requirements of this position.
- The work requires some physical exertion, such as long periods of standing; walking or jogging unaided over rough, uneven, or rocky surfaces; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching, reaching, or similar activities; or recurring lifting of moderately heavy patients or equipment.
- The work may require specific, but common, physical characteristics and abilities, such as agility and dexterity, visual, and hearing capabilities.
- Must be able to respond to any medical emergency in the facility, via foot, within four minutes and perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.
- Must have the ability to assist sick, injured, or aging detainees or staff exiting the building during an emergency.
Loyal Source is an Orlando-based workforce solutions provider dedicated to delivering elite services worldwide. With a focus in government healthcare, technical and support services, engineering, and travel healthcare, Loyal Source provides exceptional custom solutions to both private enterprise and government agencies. Loyal Source is a military friendly employers and proud partner of the Military Spouse Employment Partnership program.
For more information go to our website www.loyalsource.com and follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook & Twitter for other positions currently open.
Loyal Source does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor
Per the Presidential Executive Order 14042, all associates supporting the federal government are required to be fully vaccinated. All applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination upon hire.
This contractor and subcontractor abides by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.