Gravity IT Resourcing
Job Title: Data Scientist
Location: Remote/ Hybrid (Tallahassee, FL)
Job Type: Contract
Employment Eligibility: Gravity cannot transfer nor sponsor a work visa for this position. Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. for any employer directly
The Data Scientist will serve within the Office of Substance Abuse and Mental Health in their daily operations, support, and services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with stakeholders and development team to determine project scope and vision, gather and prioritize collected requirements
- Provide technical support in developing, monitoring, and maintaining a high volume of complex data processes.
- Data Collection: Collect, acquire, and gather data from various sources, which may include databases, APIs, web scraping, and more.
- Data Cleaning: Clean, preprocess, and transform data to remove inconsistencies, missing values, and errors, ensuring that it is suitable for analysis.
- Data Exploration: Perform exploratory data analysis (EDA) to gain a deeper understanding of the data, identify patterns, and detect anomalies.
- Data Modeling: Develop and implement machine learning and statistical models to solve specific business problems or make predictions.
- Model Evaluation: Assess the performance of models using appropriate evaluation metrics and techniques, such as cross-validation and hyperparameter tuning.
- Data Interpretation: Interpret the results of data analysis and modeling to provide actionable insights and recommendations to stakeholders.
- Machine Learning: Apply various machine learning techniques, such as regression, classification, clustering, and deep learning, depending on the problem at hand.
- Data Mining: Discover patterns and trends within large datasets to uncover valuable information.
- Maintain procedures manuals and system documentation.
- Research software solutions to support recommendations, analyzing current and future technology trends
Required Experience and Skills
- Programming Languages: 4 + years of experience in languages such as Python and R, for data analysis and modeling.
- Statistics and Mathematics: 2 + years of experience in statistical concepts, probability, linear algebra, and calculus, which are fundamental to data analysis and modeling. Machine Learning:
- 2 + years of experience in machine learning algorithms, supervised and unsupervised learning techniques, feature selection, and model evaluation.
- Data Manipulation: Experience in data manipulation tools and libraries like pandas, SQL, and data preprocessing techniques.
- Model Evaluation: Expertise in evaluating machine learning models, conducting crossvalidation, and hyperparameter tuning.
- A/B Testing: Design and conduct experiments to measure the impact of changes and make data-driven recommendations.
- Big Data Technologies: Familiarity with big data platforms and technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, and distributed computing.
- Data Ethics: Knowledge of ethical considerations in data science, including privacy, bias, fairness, and regulatory compliance.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced, high velocity, environment; ability to stay focused on responsibilities, meet deadlines and manage competing priorities under pressure.
- Deep understanding of Agile methodologies and tools like Azure DevOps
- Ability to understand customer requirements and translate these into solution specifications and system designs.
- Ability to drive effective meetings: workshops, design, and problem-solving sessions.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language; demonstrated aptitude for working with, supporting, and communicating with users and customers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated initiative, strong work ethic, attention to detail, and a desire to succeed