Referrals Coordinator – Conroe, TX
Loyal Source Government Services is looking for experienced Referrals Coordinator in the Conroe, TX area.
This position is contingent upon award of bid, anticipated in Fall 2021.
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services. IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee health care.
IHSC’s mission is to provide medical care to maintain the health of individuals in the custody of ICE through an integrated health care delivery system, based on nationally recognized correctional, detention and residential health care standards. The Agency is committed to providing healthcare services to protect the nation’s health, reduce global disease and provide medical support for the law enforcement mission of the safe apprehension, enforcement and removal of detained individuals involved in immigration proceedings. IHSC is committed to ensuring a system of care that is ethical, responsible, and accountable through rigorous surveillance and monitoring activities.
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Referral Coordinator (RC) administratively processes IHSC medical referrals for off-site medical appointments. In addition, they schedule off-site specialty consults and follow-up appointments and request and upload medical records to the electronic Health Record (eHR). The RC is the primary point of contact (POC) and liaison between the IHSC Health Plan Management Unit, requesting provider, and the community provider to initiate enrollment as well as assist with billing and claims resolution as applicable. The RC maintains a system of records for reference in support of the IHSC HPMU Provider Network.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking skills.
- Cultural competency.
- Integrity and honesty.
- Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, not required).
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Minimum of one-year experience in a healthcare setting as a medical record technician, medical record clerk, or similar position where the processing of electronic medical/health records and was part of the daily responsibilities.
- Minimum of one-year experience with the scheduling of medical appointments, such as radiology procedures, specialty consults follow-up appointments, and surgical procedures.
- This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
- Maintains Heartsaver® CPR AED certification through the American Heart Association®. Must include hands on training and practice with an instructor and a mannequin
- Per the Presidential Executive Order 14042, all associates supporting the federal government are required to be fully vaccinated. All applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination upon hire.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the basic principles and standards of eHR procedures and methods.
- Knowledge of the documentation requirements, timeliness of referral management, and knowledge of eHR workflow to process electronic medical referrals and records, to review referrals and records for accuracy and completeness, and to keep track of processing deadlines.
- Basic fluency of medical terminology.
- Administratively processes IHSC medical referrals for off-site medical appointments.
- Schedules off-site specialty consults and follow-up appointments. Requests and uploads medical records to the electronic Health Record (eHR).
- Recognize documentation inconsistencies in referrals within the eHR ensuring compliance and resolution.
- Knowledge of Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to work approximately 90% of time using a computer, telephone, scanner, and printers.
- Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
- Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including eHR, ICE web-based trainings and Microsoft Teams application navigation.
- Knowledge of and functional proficiency in common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
MAJOR DUTIES AND
- Prepares, updates, and maintains medical referral information for each patient ensuring accuracy of information in the patient’s medical record.
- Supports the IHSC outside provider recruitment process as liaison between providers and IHSC. Maintains a system of records for tracking purposes for reference in support of the IHSC HPMU Provider Network.
- Coordinates the purchase or rental of durable medical equipment for detainees in ICE custody.
- Contacts the off-site community medical providers to schedule appointments for specialty care based on IHSC provider referral and documents specific appointment date in the eHR.
- Tracks compliance with scheduled patient appointments, making timely reminder notices, or calls to the off-site facility (hospitals, long-term care facilities, etc) and IHSC staff prior to each appointment where applicable.
- Coordinates transportation with custody transport staff for the scheduled off-site medical appointments and creates the sealed medical packet that is sent with the patient, via custody transportation staff, that contains pertinent medical documentation for the appointment.
- Files/scans laboratory, radiology, and other reports in appropriate sections of the electronic medical record when patient returns from off-site visit.
- Routes clinical reports to appropriate clinic staff within prescribed timeline.
- Corresponds with off-site medical facilities and HPMU Provider network providers to request pertinent medical information to place in the medical record using appropriate and authorized ICE and IHSC forms. Tracks requests and performs follow-up ensuring receipt of information requested.
- Handles all correspondence requiring authorizations for payment of medical services.
- Reviews all documentation for completeness and routes incomplete documents to the appropriate provider for correction prior to placing/scanning in the medical records.
- Receives and processes requests for information in accordance with the Fair Information Practice Principles and Privacy Act.
- Uses multiple systems to process a variety of narrative and tabular material (e.g., eHR systems, email correspondence, eXCEL tabular data, Enterprise Business Optimizer reports, etc.) to prepare, update, and maintain a medical record and provide required and requested information to appropriate medical personnel.
- Completes reports needed to ensure that all referrals have been completed correctly before they are transmitted to the VA system for payment and corrects any errors found.
- Assists to reconcile and resolve denied outside provider claims.
- Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program policies and position.
- Maintains functional proficiency and ease of use utilizing electronic health records and referrals.
- Completes and passes all Referrals Coordinator competencies, initially and annually.
- Completes all initial, annual and ad hoc training as required/assigned.
- Serves as a team member for analyzing established protocol practices and identifying areas for improvement.
- Maintains patient confidentiality, and confidentiality of medical records, in compliance with the Privacy Act and HIPAA regulations in all work activities.
- Adheres to and maintains awareness of: IHSC Policies, Procedures, Directives, Operational Memoranda and accreditation standards as prescribed by ICE/IHSC.
- Adheres to and participates in: IHSC’s Safety, Quality Improvement and other programs and collateral duties as appropriate to position.
- Attends and participates in general/medical staff meetings.
DUTY HOURS / ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS & TRAVEL
- IHSC operates 24/7/365; this position is required to respond during an emergency activation.
- This full-time position requires availability to workdays, evenings, as well as weekends and holidays. Night shifts may be requested at times based on mission needs but are generally not required. (site specific).
- On-call availability is not required for this position.
- Travel to other IHSC locations may be required (2-4 weeks annually).
The Department of Homeland Security’s Personnel Security Unit (PSU) must render an Initial Preliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a qualified candidate.
A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by PSU upon completion of initial, and between, subsequent background investigations to meet the requirements of this position.
- Required to walk unaided at a normal pace for up to 10 minutes and maintain balance.
- Required to respond to any medical emergency within 4 minutes, where a fast walk or jog may be necessary to provide assistance.
- Required to perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.
- Must have the ability to assist sick, injured or aging detainees or staff exiting the building during an emergency (may require lifting, dragging, wheeling or carrying someone who weighs significantly more than self).
- Must be able to see, hear and smell with or without the use of aides if necessary (exceptions on a case by case basis).
- Must easily alternate between kneeling and standing.
- Must be able to lift, push, or carry 30 pounds.
- Must perform the duties in a stressful and often austere environment without physical limitations.
- Must be capable of standing on hard services (cement floors) for long periods of time.
Loyal Source is an Orlando-based workforce solutions provider dedicated to delivering elite services worldwide. With a focus in government healthcare, technical and support services, engineering, and travel healthcare, Loyal Source provides exceptional custom solutions to both private enterprise and government agencies. Loyal Source is a military friendly employers and proud partner of the Military Spouse Employment Partnership program.
For more information go to our website www.loyalsource.com and follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook & Twitter for other positions currently open.
Loyal Source does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor
This contractor and subcontractor abides by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.